Yeah...I am on Foodbuzz Top 9 today!!
It has been a long time since I've made Dim Sum (点心）and when I was just wondering what to make after I bought a packet of bread flour, E suggested me to make Beef Bun for morning breakfast. This Beef Bun (牛肉馅饼) is using very little oil to pan fry. It doesn't take long to wait for the dough to rise You can actually finish making this recipe within 1 hour or 1 1/2 hours at most. Best to serve them hot with a cup of Chinese tea.
Here is the recipe (adapted from 精緻點心DIY)
150g Bread flour
150g All purpose flour
1 tsp Icing sugar
1 tsp Salt
180ml (170g) Water
1 tsp Instant yeast
Filling: (recipe being modified)
360g Ground beef
2 tsp minced ginger
1 tsp Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1/2 tbsp Oyster sauce
1 tbsp Cooking wine (hua tiao jiu)
1 Egg white (about 35-40g), lightly beaten
1/2 tbsp Corn flour
2 tbsp Water
2-3 stalks Spring onion, cut finely (about 50g)
- Mix all the ground beef filling ingredients together and put in refrigerator for later use.
- Sift bread flour, plain flour and icing sugar, salt together in a large bowl. Add instant yeast to the water and mix till yeast dissolved. Then pour dissolved yeast to flour mixture, mix with a spatula to becomes a sticky dough and place it on dusted flour table. Press dough down with the heels of your hand, then roll the dough towards you. Repeat this process a few times until dough becomes smooth and shape it into a ball.
- Cover the dough in a bowl and let it rest for about 15-30 mins or dough rises to 1.6 times or doubled.
- Use your index finger to poke the dough, it does not spring back, it is ready to use.
- Divide dough into 15 to 16 small balls (about 30g each) and flatten dough into a circle, the edges are thinner than the center. I didn't do a good job on this, you can see (picture below) the sealed side is quite thick :(
- Add beef filling, with thumb on the filling and gather edge together and seal.
- Place buns sealed side down in frying pan with some oil over medium low heat and fry buns till golden brown on both sides, about 5-6 mins on each side.
- Serve hot buns immediately.
Labels: Asian Delight, Dian Xin 点心